Engaging ASEAN Governments on Human Rights Education
The Working Group for an ASEAN Human Rights Mechanism,
in coordination with the Asia Pacific Regional Resource
Center for Human Rights Education (ARRC), held a "Roundtable
Discussion on Engaging ASEAN Governments on Human Rights
Education" on 23-25 March 2006 at Bangkok, Thailand.
Some of the aims of the RTD were to take stock of Human
Rights Education (HRE) programs/initiatives in ASEAN, identify
strategies or possible engagements with ASEAN governments,
and recommend possible HRE initiatives in ASEAN.
The RTD identified both regional and national goals on
HRE. Following are the goals identified for the ASEAN region:
- Compliance with international HRE standards, e.g. World
Programme for HRE
- Strengthening of the dialogue/engagement between ASEAN,
the United Nations, and other partners regarding Human Rights
and the right-based approach, and HRE in ASEAN
- Establishment of an ASEAN Regional HRE Training and Resource
- Development and Implementation of Joint ASEAN HRE projects
- Creation of an ASEAN Committee on HRE
For the national goals on HRE, the following were identified:
- Adoption of a national HRE plan
- Adoption of HRE policies and programs for schools, critical
government agencies, and the general public
- Establishment of mechanisms for dialogue between and
among Government and HRE providers
- Encourage creation of national human rights institutions
The RTD was attended by participants from regional organizations
engaged in HRE in the region, by the national human rights
institutions in ASEAN and by members of the Working Group.
During the Working Group's meeting with the ASEAN Senior
Officials on Vientiane, Lao P.D.R. last July 2005, the Working
Group was tasked to help in implementing the human rights
program areas of the Vientiane Action Programme, particularly
"promoting education and public awareness on human
rights in the region."
For more details on the outcome of the RTD, please click
on the Report
of the RTD on Engaging ASEAN.